Endometriosis is a fairly common disease that can cause severe pain. Fortunately, the right diet and natural remedies can alleviate suffering. From this article you will learn what is endometriosis and how exactly you can resist it without medication.
What is endometriosis?
Endometriosis is a disease in which the cells of the inner layer of the uterus wall (the very one that bleeds during menstruation, called the endometrium) grow outside it – for example, the ovary, fallopian tubes or even the bladder or intestine.
In endometriosis, the areas on which the Enlometria cells have become inflamed during menstruation and may even bleed, which causes severe pain. Here are the main symptoms of this disease:
- Severe pain in the pelvic region, spasms during menstruation or chronic pain, which can spread to the back or to the hip
- Very abundant menstruation
- Pain during bowel emptying or during sex, especially during the week preceding menstruation
- Nausea and vomiting several days before the onset of menstruation
- Although there is no unambiguous answer to the question of what is the cause of endometriosis, scientists are inclined to the variant that the hormonal failure is to blame for everything. Probably one of the reasons for this disease is too high a level of estrogen.
A balanced diet rushes to the rescue
A balanced and healthy diet is the first step to relieve pain in endometriosis. Follow our advice:
- Abstain from excessive consumption of meat and dairy products. They may contain xenoestrogens, which cause pain in endometriosis.
- Avoid coffee and carbonated drinks. They contain caffeine, aggravating the symptoms of endometriosis.
- Eat as much fresh fruit and vegetables as possible. They contain vitamins and fiber. Fiber helps the intestines work and prevents inflammation, and some vitamins can alleviate the pain.
- Add to your diet foods rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. These substances control the level of prostaglandin, a hormone responsible for pain in endometriosis. Fatty acids are found in tuna, sardines, flax seeds and pumpkin seed oil.
How else can I take off the pain
Here are a few other ways to get rid of the symptoms of endometriosis without resorting to medications:
- Exercises to relieve stress. Constant stress can lead to hormonal failure and thereby cause painful sensations. Do yoga or other breathing exercises to get rid of stress and feel much better.
- Acupuncture. Traditional Chinese remedy over the centuries has proven effective in the removal of pain in a variety of situations.
- Thermal therapy. Apply a warm compress to the area in which you experience pain during menstruation. This will allow the muscles to relax and soothe the pain.
If the symptoms do not go away and the pain only worsens, consult a doctor.