Colitis is an inflammation of the large intestine, which causes severe discomfort. Although in many cases special medications are required to treat this disease, folk remedies can also help improve your well-being.
In this article, we will tell you about two types of colitis, the most common symptoms of the disease and some home remedies that will help relieve pain regardless of the cause of the inflammation.
Why does colitis occur and what are its symptoms?
Scientists distinguish two forms of colitis: acute and chronic. The acute form is most often caused by bacteria or viruses, and the chronic form can have a variety of causes: stress, irritable bowel syndrome, autoimmune diseases, etc.
If you notice one or more of the symptoms listed in the list below, it is possible that their cause is colitis:
- Acute, chronic or wavy pain in the abdomen.
- Spasms in the intestines.
- Tenezms (painful false urges for defecation with almost complete absence of feces).
- The presence of mucus or blood in the feces.
- Nausea and vomiting.
If you have such symptoms, you should consult a doctor to find out the exact diagnosis. The doctor decides whether to take any special medicines, but in any case, folk remedies will help improve your well-being.
Diet based on liquid products
In colitis, especially if one of his symptoms is diarrhea, you should refrain from taking solid food. For two or three days, use only liquid products, making sure that the body receives a sufficient number of ions and minerals. Stop the diarrhea will help you the following home recipes:
- Rice water. This medicine can be called a “grandmother’s remedy.” To cook it, take a cup of rice and cook it in six bowls of water until the rice becomes soft. Then discard the water and drink it cold or warm.
- Chamomile tea. Chamomile has anti-inflammatory properties, and therefore is an excellent natural remedy for the treatment of colitis. Take a few chamomile flowers and boil them in a pot of water. When the broth cools, pour it into the cup. As a sweetener instead of sugar, it is better to use honey or stevia.
- Broth from cabbage cabbage. This remedy is very easy to prepare: take a few leaves of cabbage and cook them in a saucepan for 10 minutes. Drink chilled.
When the symptoms begin to subside, you can gradually begin to eat solid foods, such as rice, cornmeal, lean meat, yogurt and cheese. Portions should be small, so you have the opportunity to check how the stomach reacts to such food.
Another good way to include solid foods in the diet is to prepare compote from apples (for this, boil apples in a water pan) or cooked carrots, which is very effective in controlling colitis, as it creates an alkaline environment in the digestive tract.
Do not eat sugar!
When the intestine is inflamed, it can not fully perform its functions. For this reason, it is very important to eat soft foods so as not to aggravate the inflammation.
If there are symptoms of colitis, it is preferable to exclude from the diet all kinds of refined sugar, that is, cakes, chocolate and other kinds of sweets, as well as white bread, excess spices, alcoholic and carbonated drinks and coffee.
In the event that the cause of colitis is stress, nerve strain or irritable bowel syndrome, do special relaxation exercises as often as possible. Yoga or meditation can also help alleviate the symptoms of the disease.
If your health does not improve, ask your doctor for help. Take care of your health!